Sunday, August 2, 2009

Review - Vacation

VacationWell, it's been a while since I reviewed anything here, so I thought I'd bring it all back with a review of a book by a Twitter friend of mine. His name is Jeremy C Shipp, and in the last few years, he's become one of the biggest names in the Bizarro genre. His début novel, Vacation, is marked as Literary/Science Fiction, and tells a remarkable story of a world gone wrong, with nobody knowing it. That's a bit vague, but I don't want to ruin the plot.

First and foremost, I loved this book. I'm not just saying that either; it got me thinking, more so than any other book I've ever read. It's one of the most intriguing books I've ever laid my eyes upon! And not just about the general way the world is falling apart; smaller things too, or larger, depending on how you look at it. I had to read the book in small doses to prevent an overload of thoughts flooding into my head. Safety first!

Secondly, it really is well written, and it's no wonder it was published! Jeremy has a fantastic style, and he keeps his character alive with a voice that remains true. There are lines that you read later in the book and think "He said something similar to this earlier, only he was more depressed before..." It's a good thing, I might add, that he seems to repeat. It's character development. Plus, the book is written as if it were to the protagonist's parents, as a letter, so it's nice to see a human side to him.

Thirdly... well there is no thirdly. Not really. The book doesn't need a thirdly. It did, however, get a mention in my vlog! I read out the inscription in it that Jeremy added before sending it to me. In the future, there will also be my pathetic attempt to be philosophical, so make sure you stay tuned for that, as it's all related back to Vacation.



And remember, though it may be a Vacation, it's no walk in the park.

3 comments:

Marilyn Simpson said...

Hey there. Cool blog you have. I've recently brought Vacation too & have a little alien drawing. Also, I asked Jeremy to draw a Coconut Monkey, Its awesome.

Keep up the good work, I'll be watching. :)

Marilyn Simpson said...

Oops, forgot to add, your review was fantastic. Well done.

Paul Carroll said...

Hehe yeah I got the Alien too. He was moderately evil and thinking about a cloud. Good craic. And the book is obviously good too ;-)